HOWARD WAYNE SHULER, the oldest son of Dave Shuler and Dora May Wightman Shuler, was born in Payson, Utah, on 15 July, 1910. He was a very warm and friendly man, and had an easy-going personality. He was also very kind-hearted and generous. He was usually quiet and unassuming, but he liked people and liked to talk with them; it is said that he could (and usually did) strike up a conversation with virtually anyone, anywhere, and he would soon find things in common with them, or people that they both knew in common. Sometimes this bothered Grandma because he would talk with people too long (or rather, they would talk to him, because he was a good listener), even when she was in a hurry to get somewhere or do something. Grandpa had brown eyes and dark hair; he was very handsome as a young man. The dark hair and eyes and somewhat olive skin came from his mother Dora May Wightman's side of the family (both of her grandfathers, Charles Billings Wightman and Philo Johnson, were dark).


Dora May Wightman Shuler died in the flu epidemic in November 1918, at the age of only 28. Howard was eight years old, his brother Marvel was six, and "Bish" was only two. It seems that Payson was especially hard hit during this epidemic, for a little town of its size. Dave Shuler's sister Mary Sunbeam Shuler Fairbanks also lost her husband to the flu, on the same day that Dora May died. For a while Mary and her children moved in with her brother Dave's family so that "Aunt Mary" could take care of the three little boys. At this time, her daughter Jenny was 19, Madge was 16, and Byron was 13, but Jenny and Madge became more like aunts or big sisters to the Shuler boys instead of cousins, and they always stayed very close.
Howard's father remarried about a year later, to Erma Nell Wightman. She was 21 and Dave was 31 when they married. Her first husband, Wayne Gardner, had also been killed in the flu epidemic. Erma had two daughters, Helen Gardner (b. 1914, married Milo Christensen (div) and Joseph McNabb); and Geraldine Gardner (b. 1916, married Paul Archibald Wittwer). Since Dave Shuler's second wife Erma was his first wife's niece, this made for an unusual family relationship, because even though Erma was Howard's step-mother, she was also his first cousin; they sometimes called her "Cousin Erma."
Howard loved cars; he liked to fix up cars and sell them. As a young man he worked for his father in his automobile business and later sold cars for other dealers. In his later life cars were just a hobby of his; he usually bought a new car every year, and he liked to drive Lincolns.
Before he was married he also had gone into a partnership on an airplane with some other young men from Payson. One day they were going to fly over by Utah Lake, but one of the other guys wanted to go in the plane, so Howard said he would drive over and meet them there. It turned out that the airplane crashed and the two young men were both killed. Howard saw the plane go down and rushed to the scene to help, but they had been killed instantly. He was dating Irma at the time, but because of the tragedy he forgot all about their date. She waited for him all evening, and was quite angry that he had "stood her up" until she found out the next day what had happened.
Howard and Irma had known each other in the first grade and had been childhood sweethearts during their grade-school years, but then her family had moved away to Washington state until after she graduated from high school. When she returned to Payson and started attending BYU, they had become reacquainted and soon fell in love.
Howard W. Shuler and Irma Lant were married on Valentine's Day, 14 Feb 1931. They had five children:

  PATSY RAE SHULER, b. 17 Feb 1932 in Payson and lived only four days;

  SANDRA SHULER, b. 8 Apr 1934 in Payson,
    married GARLAND LAMAR BRAY in Aug. 1955.
    They had five children.
       BONA BRAY (b. 1956)
       KAREN BRAY (b. 1958)
       ALLENE BRAY (b. 1959)
       LAWRENCE LAMAR BRAY (b. 1960)
       MICHAEL DAVID BRAY (b. 1962)

  JOHN DAVID SHULER, b. 6 Apr 1937 in Payson,
    married MARILYN TATE in 1961; they had two sons:
       DAVID LAWRENCE SHULER (b. 1962)
       THOMAS EDWARD SHULER (b. 1966)

John's two boys were born in Boise, Idaho, where John was Youth Rehabilitation Officer for the State of Idaho. John worked with many troubled teens, and also took several foster children into his home. In 1984 he was given recognition as a "Distinguished Citizen" by the Boise newspaper, the "Idaho Statesman". John passed away in July, 1985.
John's wife Marilyn graduated from the University of Utah with a degree in medical technology. However, her career has been in the field of public service. She was the Director of the Idaho Human Rights Commission from 1978 until her retirement in 1998. During this time she spoke to hundreds of diverse groups throughout the state on topics related to civil rights. She has been very active and successful in encouraging people of different races and religions to get along with one another, and has been presented with several awards for distinguished community service.

  MICHAEL HOWARD SHULER, b. 10 Dec 1939 in Payson,
     married ARDITH ANN DAVIS in 1959. They had three sons.
       SCOTT MICHAEL SHULER (b. 1960)
       STEVEN WAYNE SHULER (b. 1963)
       KEVIN RICHARD SHULER (b. 1966).

All of Mike's sons were born in Salt Lake City, but the family moved to California soon after this, and later to Scottsdale, Arizona in 1973. Mike was a computer programmer and vice president of Western Savings Bank in Arizona.
Mike and Ann have always been active in the LDS Church, and their son Steve served a mission in England.

  CRAIG LANT SHULER, b. 15 June 1951 in Tooele, Utah.
    He married MARILYN  MAXINE  McEWAN in 1975.
    They adopted JOEL  McEWAN  SHULER in 1980
    and then had three natural children:
       AMANDA LYNN SHULER (b. 1981 in San Jose, Costa Rica)
       MARK ANTONIO SHULER (b. 1983 in San Jose, Costa Rica)
       ELISA KATHLEEN SHULER (b. 1986 in Salt Lake City).

Craig and Marilyn were divorced in 1989.

  Craig remarried in 1993 to GAYLE REBECCA GUEST,
    who had two daughters from a previous marriage.
  Craig and Gayle had a son:
       CALEB JOHN SHULER (b. 1998 in Sandy, Utah).

Craig is a CPA and works for the LDS Church; while they lived in Costa Rica he was in charge of the Church's financial matters in the Central America region. They later lived in Brazil for a few years, where Craig supervised the South America area in the financial and auditing department. After Craig and Marilyn returned to live in Salt Lake, Craig worked at the Church Office Building but was frequently sent on auditing assignments to many countries around the world.
Craig is the family genealogist; he has done a lot of genealogy research over the years. He has always been very active in the LDS church, and has been a positive influence in the lives of many others. He had a strong desire to go on a mission for the Church when he was a young man, and in 1970 he became the first in the Shuler family to go. He served his mission in Brazil. Soon after returning home in 1972, he baptized two of his nieces, Karen and Allene Bray, who were 14 and 13 years old at the time.

All of Howard and Irma Shuler's children had dark hair like their father. Both John and Craig had his hazel eyes, olive skin, and hair that was almost black. Sandra and Mike had blue eyes, fair skin, and brown hair.
When Howard and Irma were first married they lived in Payson. Howard was a volunteer fireman in Payson, and he also worked on and sold cars. During the depression years they lived for a while up at the ranch house which his parents owned. In 1940-41 he ran his father's ranch for him.
He moved his family to Salt Lake in 1941 (after his first three children were born), just before United States entered actively into World War II. Jobs were becoming available in the defense industry even before war was declared. As the war went on, he knew he was soon due to be drafted. In 1943 he heard about a construction job in the Aleutian Islands of Alaska, for which he could get a deferment for the draft. He applied for the job, and was hired as a carpenter to help build the Adak military base. He was there for about a year, in 1943-44.
He was given papers to identify him as a soldier, so that in case of capture by the Japanese he would be treated according to the rules of the Geneva convention. The Japanese had bombed and captured part of the Aleutian Islands and held them for a time earlier in the war; this was the only fighting which took place on American soil (other than the attack at Pearl Harbor on the first day of the war), although it is little known. The Japanese had withdrawn their forces from these islands by the time Howard went up there, but no one knew whether they might attack again.
After the war he got a job at the Tooele Ordnance Depot, and moved his family to Tooele. The Depot sent him over to Guam for a year soon after the war, because they had to salvage all of the equipment and things that were left there from all of the fighting on that island. He worked for the Tooele Army Depot as an inspector for many years. Their son Craig was born in Tooele in 1951. Irma worked as a secretary in Tooele, and later at the Veterans Hospital in Salt Lake.


Howard and Irma both took early retirements from federal service, and moved to Sun City, Arizona in 1972. They enjoyed this retirement community and their many friends there; one thing they really liked was playing golf. Howard taught his grandson Steve Shuler to golf, and gave him his golf clubs. Steve was left-handed like Howard, and he later got a golf scholarship to Utah State University and played on their golf team. Howard had golfed for many years; Irma took it up after they moved to Sun City, and she also turned out to be a very good player and won some ladies' tournaments.

(Golfing was very big in Sun City; there were golf courses everywhere, and little roads for the golf carts. Many people drove their golf carts to the store and around town instead of driving their cars. We thought it was really fun when we went to visit them when they first retired to Sun City. Grandpa let us drive the golf cart around town even though we weren't old enough to have our driver's licenses yet. But he probably shouldn't have, because we did things like chasing rabbits across the golf courses, and going down the terraces in the "Sun Bowl" outdoor stadium).

Howard and Irma did some traveling also in the first few years after they retired; going on cruises to Hawaii and Alaska. But then Howard unexpectedly died 27 July 1977 at age 67, in Rexburg, Idaho (where they were staying for the summer), from a heart attack. He had gone fishing that morning. After lunch, he lay down on the couch to take a nap while Irma went out shopping. When she returned he was still lying on the couch, and it appeared he had simply died in his sleep. The funeral was held at their former ward in Salt Lake, and the burial was in Sun City, Arizona.
Irma Lant Shuler remarried on 24 June 1978, at age 68, to Paul DeOrr Tyson, a 70-year old Sun City widower. Paul went to the Mesa, Arizona temple with Irma and her sons Mike and Craig, on 3 Aug 1978, and they did the temple work for Howard. Irma was sealed to Howard for eternity and their sons were sealed to them. Paul had already been sealed to his first wife, Norma, so of course Paul and Irma's marriage was for time only, but they had 17 happy years together, and were very good for one another. They were active in the Sun City Ward for as long as they were in good health. Paul died 1 Jan 1996 at age 87, and Irma died 2 May 1996 at age 86. Howard Wayne Shuler and Irma Lant Shuler Tyson are both buried in the Sunland Memorial Park in Sun City, Arizona. Paul DeOrr Tyson is buried in Brigham City, Utah next to his first wife, Norma.

Information from Various Sources
Gathered by Craig Lant Shuler
and Karen Bray Keeley

INTERNET Adaptation
by Sandra Shuler Bray