MARGARET ANN MILLER was the daughter of Scottish converts James Miller and Margaret Ann Anderson. She was born 25 January 1856 in Salt Lake City. In January 1874, she married Alma Charles Davis in the Old Endowment House in Salt Lake City. They settled in Spanish Fork, and became the parents of twelve children.
In 1888, after the first six children were born, Alma Charles Davis was called to fill a mission for the LDS Church to Great Britain. He left his wife with the six small children to care for. "Father rented out his farm, but both years there was a shortage of water and very little crops were raised. Mother, being a good seamstress, took in sewing and did very well earning money to send to Father and to help the family."
While he was gone, the children got scarlet fever, and the youngest boy, John A., was left an invalid at 4 years old. Later this boy went to school part time and tried to do light work, but was always in poor health. "However, we were blessed in many ways. Mother served as a counselor in the Relief Society. Six more children were born to the family after Father's mission. The children of Alma Charles and Margaret Ann Miller Davis were:

      **1. LETITIA ANN DAVIS LANT (1874-1919).
             She married JOHN TANNER LANT in 1897,
	     lived in Payson and Garland, Utah,
	     and had seven children:
	       DAVID LESTER LANT (who died at age one),
	       HAROLD LANT,
	       ERMA LANT SHULER, and
	       one boy who died at birth.
	2. MARGARET DAVIS HANSEN (1877-1959).
	     She wrote, "I was the second child in a family of
	     twelve, so there was always plenty to do around the
	     home.  My older sister became a school teacher, but
	     my education ended with the eighth grade as I was
	     needed at home to help mother ...
	     I married Heber Johansen HANSEN on Nov. 23, 1898
	     in the Salt Lake Temple.  When we had four small
	     children, my husband was called to go to Norway on
	     a mission ... we had five more children after his
	     return ... Our nine children are:
	       LEE HANSEN,
	       DALLAS DAVIS HANSEN, who died of meningitis
	         one month before his eighth birthday.
	     Two of our children have filled missions;
	     PREAL to Northwestern States and
	     EUGENE to Czechoslovakia.
	     Sorrow came to our house when WILMA's husband,
	     DANIEL LUDLOW, was killed.  He left his wife with a
	     small girl and a yet-to-be-born child.  WILMA moved
	     back with us and here her son, DANIEL HANSEN LUDLOW,
	     was born six weeks after his father's death.  DAN
	     lived with us most of the time until he was married.
	     He now (1966) teaches at BYU."
	     (His son, VICTOR L. LUDLOW, also became a religion
	     professor at BYU, and an author).
	3. JAMES MILLER DAVIS (1879-1919).
	     Since JIM was the eldest son, he took the
	     responsibility for the family after his father's
	     death in 1903,
	     "acting as father, friend and financial assistant
	     for the family."  He worked in the mines in Eureka
	     for several years, and then in 1905 he married
	     Estella Ann LEWIS in the Salt Lake Temple.
	     Shortly after his marriage he went to work for the
	     Utah-Idaho Sugar Co., and continued in their employ
	     until the time of his death.
	     "JIM was sincerely religious, and expressed this
	     conviction by subscribing to the brotherhood of man.
	     He also laid considerable emphasis on the law of
	     tithing, and felt that his many blessings were due
	     in no small measure to his adherence to this law."
	     JIM and STELLA had five children:
	     JIM's untimely death, in the flu epidemic of 1918-19,
	     robbed him of the pleasure of seeing his children
	     grow to maturity.  His widow wrote in 1966: "I have
	     remained a widow since (JIM's death).  Through much
	     hard work, and many prayers, I have been able to
	     maintain the family as a unit until the children
	     have all completed college and established homes of
	     their own.  In spite of the difficulties of an early
	     widowhood, I have realized a life-long ambition of
	     having our youngest child, DOUGLAS, fulfill a mission."
	4. ALMA CHARLES DAVIS, Jr. (1881-1942).
	     He was educated in Spanish Fork and at the Utah
	     State Agricultural College in Logan, Utah.
	     He was an Elder in the Church.
	     He worked in Eureka, Utah, in the mines for many
	     years.  After his marriage to Mary Ellen FLYGARE he
	     settled in Salem, Utah, where he owned land and was
	     a very successful farmer. His first wife Mary died
	     in 1938, and he then married Agnes Lewis JACKSON and
	     moved to Spanish Fork.  He had no children.
	     ALMA CHARLES DAVIS Jr. died in 1942.
	5. JOHN ARCHIBALD DAVIS (1884-1900).
	     See below.
	6. MARY ELLEN DAVIS EVANS (1886-1911).
	     She married William M. EVANS 10 Jan 1906.  They
	     lived in Spanish Fork a short time and then moved
	     to Mammoth, Utah where her husband was employed.
	     They had two boys:
	     In the summer of 1911 Mary became sick, leaving
	     Mammoth and coming to the home of her mother where
	     she stayed ten days and then passed away with
	     Typhoid-Pneumonia, 16 July 1911, at age 25.
	     Soon after her death her husband went to the temple
	     and had her work done and the boys sealed to them.
	     Their son W. STERLING EVANS was the Salt Lake County
	     Clerk for many years.
	7. JANE ELIZABETH DAVIS (1890-1891).
	     She died of whooping cough at the age of nine months.
	8. HOWARD LEWIS DAVIS (1892-1949).
	     After graduation from high school in Spanish Fork,
	     he went to a business college in Salt Lake City.
	     He took a job with the Utah-Idaho Sugar Company in
	     Garland, Utah.
	     He there met and married Ellen McFARLAND.  They lived
	     in Spanish Fork, Salt Lake, and Idaho Falls,
	     but also had to travel a lot for Howard's work, going
	     to California, Colorado and other western states.
	     They became the parents of five children:
	       MARY ELAYNE DAVIS, and
	     (the youngest two had not yet married at the time
	     the book was written in 1966, and were employed as
	     legal secretaries in Salt Lake City).
	     All of them in this family attended college,
	     and MELBA and LILY both served in the WAC before
	     their marriages.  HOWARD Jr. was in combat in the
	     Air Force during WWII.
	     After graduation from high school she lived in
	     Payson, Utah, with her older sister until she met and
	     married Amos REECE.  They moved to Salt Lake, where
	     she died of the flu on Nov. 27, 1918, at age 24.
	     FARREL had one son,
	     and was an active member of the Church.
	     "She was known for her ambition and spunk."
       10. WILMA DAVIS WETZEL (1897-1965).
             She was the tenth child born to the family and was
	     teased by her older brothers as being "tithing".
	     At the age of 18 she moved to Salt Lake City and
	     resided with her older sister FARREL and worked at
	     the Auerbach Department Store.
	     WILMA married Franklin E. WETZEL in 1920, and they
	     had three children:
	       MARGARET, who died at birth,
	       DICK DAVIS WETZEL, who became a pediatrician
	         in Salt Lake City, and
	       ARDA WETZEL LEATHAM, who graduated in elementary
	         education and taught in the Salt Lake City
		 schools before her marriage.
       11. VERNON MILTON DAVIS (1899-1951).
             When a young man VERNON went to Idaho Falls to work
	     and there he met and married Eva FIELDING in 1927.
	     VERNON stayed in Idaho Falls, and with his wife owned
	     and operated a very successful grocery business.
	     Although they had no children of their own, they were
	     very good and helpful to all their nieces and nephews.
       12. LILY BYRL DAVIS (1903-1918).
             "She was only nine months old when her father died,
	     and throughout her short life was a great comfort to
	     her mother."  She attended school in Spanish Fork.
	     The family had moved to Salt Lake City when the flu
	     epidemic hit, and she died of the flu on Nov. 29, 1918
	     at the age of fifteen.

Alma Charles Davis died at age 55, on Sept. 24, 1903. Mother was left with ten children; the oldest, Letitia Ann or "Letty" Davis Lant being twenty-eight years old, and the youngest, Lily Byrl Davis, nine months. Mother did the best she knew how for her family. Mother sold the home and farm in Leland and bought a home in Spanish Fork Second Ward and owned it until she passed away. Around 1917 two of her boys and also her daughter Wilma worked or were going to college in Salt Lake, so Mother went to Salt Lake for a time to make a home for them, but soon after this the family was struck with the flu. It was a very bad epidemic in 1918, and seemed to affect healthy young adults the worst. Mother lost four of her children within five months, three being married and leaving young families (Letitia Davis Lant, James Miller Davis, and Farrel Christine Davis Reece); also her 15 year old daughter, Lily Byrl Davis. Mother had it very bad also, but survived it. She then moved back to Spanish Fork, where she could enjoy her neighbors and friends."
She remained a widow for nearly 21 years; but then in 1924, at the age of 68, Margaret Ann married again; to Edward Creer, Jr. They were sealed in the Salt Lake Temple for time only. Edward had been previously married to Alma Charles Davis' sister Mary Sophia, for 45 years. She had died in 1923 at the age of 69, leaving him a widower. Margaret Ann and Edward Creer's marriage lasted for nearly four years, until he passed away in 1928.
"Mother had an operation at the age of 70 and her health failed after that; she died at age 78 on April 6, 1934. She was a faithful Latter-day Saint and was loved and admired by all her family and friends, as was our loving father."
Alma Charles Davis and his wife Margaret Ann Miller are buried in the Spanish Fork cemetery, near his parents (Capt. John Tucker Davis and Letitia Ann George) and her parents (James Miller and Margaret Anderson).

Information Compiled
by Karen Bray Keeley

INTERNET Adaptation
by Sandra S. Bray