One of the Early English Settlers of Sackville, N.B.
Compiled by James D. Dixon -- A Grandson

CHARLES DIXON came from Yorkshire, England, to Nova Scotia in the year 1772, and settled at Sackville, New Brunswick. A paper written by himself, and dated Sept. 21, 1773, giving some particulars of his life and history previous to that date, is herein transcribed, as follows:

I, Charles Dixon, was born March 8, old style, in the year 1730, at Kirkleavington, near Yarm, in the East Riding of Yorkshire in Old England. I was brought up to the bricklayer's trade with my father until I was about nineteen years of age, and followed that calling till the 29th year of my age. I then engaged in a paper manufactory at Hutton Rudby, and followed that business for the space of about twelve years with success. At the age of thirty-one I married Susanna Coates, by whom I have had one son and four daughters. I was brought up a Protestant, or a member of the Church of England, and endeavored to demean myself as one of his Christian race; to live soberly, righteously and Godly in this present evil world, thinking, or at least had no doubt but I should obtain heaven at last. But being at one time at Robinhood's Bay, near Whitby, I went to hear Thomas Secomb, a Methodist preacher, so called by way of derision. But his preaching was such as I never before heard, for his word was with power. It made me cry out in the bitterness of my soul, what must I do to be saved?
All my pretence of being a member of the church fell to the ground. I was condemned by her articles and homilies. I had broken my baptismal covenant, and was in fact a baptized heathen with a Christian name. For the space of about twelve months I went mourning all my days under a sense of guilt, and bowed down with the Spirit of bondage, but seeking and asking of God, that Spirit wherewith He made His children free; that I might rejoice with his chosen, and give thanks with his inheritance. At length on Wednesday, September the 21st, 1758, while seeking and striving upon my knees, the Lord proclaimed his name merciful and gracious to forgive my iniquities, healed all my diseases, and set my soul at liberty. I was then a member of the Methodist Society at Hutton Rudby, and continued so till the year 1772, being the 42nd year of my age. Being wearied with public business, and I saw the troubles that were befalling my native country, oppressions of every kind abounded, and it was very difficult to earn bread, and keep a conscience void of offence, and though I was involved in business without the least appearance of being freed therefrom, until Providence so ordered it.
The Honorable Lieutenant-Governor Franklin of the Province of Nova Scotia, at this time made some proposals for settlers; an acquaintance of mine, being the agent, with whom I had some intercourse. And when the advertisements came out I frequently recommended them to others, not seeing any way to embrace them myself. Until about two months before I embarked at Liverpool, a gentleman I had never before seen called at my house and asked me some questions about my business, and told me that he was informed that I was inclined to embrace Governor Franklin's proposals, and if so he would undertake my business and purchase my stock and interest in Hutton Mills, that I might not be retarded. I was brought to think of it more seriously and gave him for answer that I would weigh it more narrowly, and give him a deliberate answer in a little time. After many thoughts, and consultations with my wife and friends, I came to a resolution to leave all my friends and interests I was invested with, and go to Nova Scotia. The time arrived that we were to be at Liverpool, and we reached there the 27th February, from whence we sailed on the 16th day of March, 1772, on board the Duke of York, with sixty-two souls, men, women and children, bound for Nova Scotia as settlers. My family consisted of myself, my wife and four children, viz: Mary, Charles, Susanna, and Elizabeth.
We had a rough passage, non of us having been at sea before; much sea sickness prevailed. After six weeks and four days, we arrived at Halifax, the capital of the Province, and were received with much joy by the gentlemen in general, but were much discouraged by others, and the account we heard of Cumberland (the place of our destination) was enough to make the stoutest heart give way. I had, however, an eye to that Providence called and made things plain before me hitherto, and frequently told my wife all things would work together for good; not to be cast down, for I was sure we should meet with good success at our journey's end, and I endeavored to persuade others that He who had inclined us to come hither would surely not leave us, if we were not wanting to ourselves.
Through many discouragements we arrived and landed at Fort Cumberland on the 21st day of May, and went into the Barracks with my family until we could find a resting place. At first glance things were a very gloomy aspect. There were few of the inhabitants but wanted to sell their lands and go hence. I thought there must be some cause for this universal discontent. The spring was very late. I began to walk about the country, and went over to Sackville. After a few days investigation, finding the cause of discontent to be largely due to indolence and lack of knowledge, I purchased a tract of land at Sackville of Daniel Hawkins, containing 2500 acres, for the sum of 260, to which I removed my family on the 8th of June. Most of the rest of the settlers bought and settled elsewhere.
One thing in the inhabitants of Sackville at that time was very commendable; the not forsaking, but assembling together to worship, though unhappily divided into parties and ready to say to each other "I am holier than thou." And now let us admire that Providence which has preserved and brought us through many dangers from our Father's house and given us a lot in a strange land and an earthly inheritance that we never deserved or expected. Oh! that it may excite us to gratitude and thanksgiving while we dwell in a house of clay, and when this earthly tabernacle shall be dissolved may we receive an inheritance incorruptible, undefiled, that will never fade away; where the wicked will cease from troubling, and where our souls shall forever rest.
N. B. -- This, my son Charles, is written for thee and thy little sisters' instruction, that thou be not high-minded, but remember the rock from whence thou wast hewn, and in the future time when I and thy mother shall be called home, and rest in the silent grave, you may remember, that for your sakes we crossed the ocean. See that you outstrip us in purity of heart and holiness of life, and always let your words be the picture of your hearts. Study to adorn the doctrine and Gospel of God your Savior, and acquaint yourselves with God and be at peace. At peace with yourselves and with all men, and may the God of peace be with you evermore. Amen.

The following is also transcribed from a record made by the same person in his own hand-writing upon the flyleaf of his family bible:

Sackville, N.B., 21st May, 1810.
This day, 38 years ago, we landed at Fort Cumberland from Hutton Rudby, in Cleveland, Yorkshire, myself, my wife, Mary, Charles, Susanna and Elizabeth, six in all, and at this day the family has multiplied to ninety-four, all alive, save infants, and Ruth, my daughter, who departed 29th March last, much regretted by all who knew her, aged 37 years and three months, but our loss is her gain. She died as she lived, a Christian. Thus has the mercy and goodness of God followed us hitherto.
(Signed,) Charles Dixon
May 21st, 1815.
This day, forty-three years ago, we landed at Fort Cumberland, with four children, viz: Mary, Charles, Susanna and Elizabeth. Four more are added, viz: Ruth, Martha, Edward and William, all alive save a favorite, Ruth, and I suppose we are multiplied to not less, at this day, than one hundred and thirty. But why are we thus multiplied and spared so long? Because God's mercy is over all his works.
(Signed,) Charles Dixon Aged 85

The foregoing paper and records contain all that Mr. Dixon wrote respecting his own, or his family history. While the writer deems himself fortunate in the possession of these papers, he deeply regrets that Mr. Dixon did not leave on record some further information respecting his parents, his brothers and sisters, and their families. He had a brother Edward, with whom he kept up a correspondence after coming to America, who also had a family. He for some time previous to his decease, was so afflicted with blindness, that he was obliged to employ some one to write his letters to his brother in America. There was also a sister, who was married to a Mr. Scotson, one of whose daughters married Abraham Bass, who was a tailor and draper of London, and who at Mr. Dixon's suggestion came to Sackville about the year 1814, and built a brick house on the site now occupied by the Chignecto Hall, where he kept a public house or hotel until his death. There was also John Dixon, an excise officer at Hutton Rudby, with whom Charles had business relations, while he was engaged in the manufacture of paper, who was probably a relative. There was also a Dixon family near the same locality, who at a later period gave to the Methodist church a distinguished minister, in the person of the Reverand James Dixon, D.D., who it is well known, in advanced age becaue totally blind. This latter circumstance, coupled with the fact that a similar affliction existed in the case of Edward Dixon, before mentioned, and also with the fact that two of Charles Dixon's sons were in advanced age similarly afflicted, as will hereafter appear, tends to give color to the probability that the families had been nearly related in the not very remote past.
Charles Dixon very soon became an active and prominent citizen of the community in which he had fixed his new home. He doubtless possessed some traits of character to be esteemed and admired. He was prompt in decision, firm of purpose, industrious, intelligent and conscientious in the discharge of his duties, and what his had found to do, he did with his might. He possessed an education quite in advance of many of his associates and neighbors, and his twelve years' training in conducting the business of the paper mill had given him an aptitude for business, which would materially aid in qualifying him for efficiently discharging the duties of the positions he was so soon called upon to fill. He was called upon almost immediately to act as administrator of several Estates, among which was that of George Dobson, of Point De Bute, and one of Thomas Copple, of Petticodiac. He was also appointed a Justice of the peace in 1775, and Judge of the common pleas in 1778. As a Justice of the peace he had a large portion of the business of the Parish to perform for a lengthy period. He was also authorized to solemnize matrimony, and performed that duty for many of the early inhabitants.
Mr. Dixon was among the first of the English immigrants to what was then called Cumberland, Nova Scotia (which included not only the present County of Cumberland, but also a large portion of the Province of New Brunswick -- notably the counties of Westmoreland and Albert), who settled at Sackville, and believing that he had done wisely himself, he encouraged others of his Yorkshire acquaintance to follow his example; and when they arrived, aided them by his counsel, and in some instances with pecuniary assistance to enable them to make a start. What amount of funds Mr. Dixon brought from England is unknown, but beside the amount he paid for his land, he expended nearly as much in the purchase of stock of various kinds. He bought of Daniel Hawkins all his stock, consisting of horses, oxen, cows, young cattle and sheep. Of the latter he had more than a sufficiency, for he began immediately to lend them to his newly arrived acquaintances, to be returned, with their double in three years. As he still had funds to lend to his fellow immigrants, it is probable he was possessed of about a thousand pounds when he left England.
It would be interesting to know the names of the passengers with Charles Dixon and his family, in the ship Duke of York. We are informed there were seventeen families, only one of which, so far as known, settled in Sackville beside Mr. Dixon. Thomas Anderson, with his wife Mary, who were married just previous to their departure from England, and who, after living for a year or so with Mr. Dixon, bought a property on Coles' Island, of a Mr. Alyason, where they settled and became the founders of the extensive and respectable family of that name, many of whom are still residents of Sackville. William Freeze and wife, and his wife's brother George Bulmer (who was a lad of twelve years), were also of the number of the same ship's company. Mr. Freeze first located at or near Amhurst, N.S., but finally settled at Sussex, Kings County, N.B., and became the founder of a numerous respected and influential family. George Bulmer, after completing his term of service with his brother-in-law Freeze, came to Sackville, purchased a property adjoining Mr. Dixon, and married into his family, as will hereafter be seen.
For some years after Mr. Dixon came to Sackville he was engaged in a small way in merchandise, purchasing his goods and supplies, and marketing the surplus products of his farm at Halifax. This caused him to make occasional journeys to that city, going frequently by the way of Parrsboro and Windsor. One one occasion he met some old acquaintances in the persons of William and Jane Humphrey (maiden name Flintoff), who were then settled at Falmouth, N.S. Many years subsequently, after the death of Mr. Humphrey in 1795, Mr. Dixon advised Mrs. Humphrey to remove with her family of three sons and two daughters to Sackville, offering her a lot of his land situated on the main road through the village. Mrs. Humphrey accepted the offer promptly. A house was erected upon the lot, and in due time was occupied by herself and family. She was evidently a capable woman. She commenced very soon to keep a public house, so called, and her house was for many years a kind of headquarters where much of the semi-public or parish business was transacted. Mr. Dixon continued to hold his Justices courts there until within a brief period of his death. The place is now known as the farm of the late Christopher Humphrey.
Long previous to the removal of Mrs. Humphrey to Sackville, Mr. Dixon had encouraged John Richardson and his wife, whose maiden name was Mary Flintoff, and who was a sister of Mrs. Humphrey, to come to America, and who came out in the year 1774, and were then comfortablde settled beside Mr. Dixon. One of Mr. Richardson's family was born on the ocean voyage, and was named Joseph Providence -- the first name for the captain of the ship, and the second for the ship. John and Mary Richardson, above named, are the founders of the various families of that name in and around Sackville.
Very soon after the arrival of Mr. Dixon and the other English families who preceded or immediately followed him, the Revolutionary War broke out. As a large proportion of the inhabitants of Sackville, at that period, were natives of Massachusetts and the adjoining Colonies, and had only been absent from their native country a few years, it is not surprising that some of them should be inclined to sympathise with the Revolutionists, and actively espouse their cause; and aided and encouraged by a force from Calais they for a time beseiged Fort Cumberland. That enterprise however was soon abandoned, and they found more congenial employment in raiding the homes of the loyal and peaceable inhabitants, plundering them of such articles as they were in need of, and destroying or carrying away any guns or ammunition they might find. Mr. Dixon's home did not escape their unwelcome notice. His house was robbed of many valuable articles, some of which he kept for sale. For a considerable period the loyal inhabitants, notable the English settlers, were subjected to a state of anxiety, and lived in dread of a repetition of such unwelcome visits. On one occasion when some of these people were approaching the house, Mrs. Dixon hastily gathered up her silverware and other valuables and deposited them in a barrel of pig feed, where they quite escaped the notice of the visitors. On a later occasion, when somewhat similar troublous times existed, Mr. Dixon, with the aid of his negro servant Cleaveland, hid his money and other valuables in the earth; binding his servant by a solemn oath never to divulge to any one the place of concealment. These incidents may serve to remind us of some of the perils and difficulties our ancestors were compelled to encounter very soon after their arrival in the country.
At the close of the Revolutionary War, the population of Nova Scotia was largely increased by the arrival of the Loyalists, many of whom settled at St. John and in that vicinity. Also some came to Sackville, and others to Amherst and the adjacent localities. There was another class of persons who preceded the Loyalists, who came from the New England states, and some of whom settled at Sackville, who were termed refugees. These, it is understood, were obliged to leave their native land because of their loyalty to the Crown and government of England. It can be truly said, however, that the descendants of some of this class are now to be found among the most industrious and prosperous of our citizens.
Very soon after the close of the war, the Province of Nova Scotia was divided, and what is now known as the Province of New Brunswick was given a separate government. An extract from the journals of the first session of the Legislature held at Parr Town (now St. John), in January 1876, is here inserted and is as follows:

"The consideration of the Sheriff's return for Westmoreland, being referred to a committee, the chairman reports that the French votes are illegal, and that Charles Dixon was entitled to take his seat." And on February 7th, Charles Dixon appeared in the House, "And it was ordered that Mr. Hubbard and Mr. Paine, attend to see him qualified before the Commissioner for that purpose, who reported they had attended to that duty, and that Charles Dixon was duly qualified, and thereupon ordered that he take his seat."

Amos Botsford was the only other representative for the County until 1793, when four members were allowed to Westmoreland, and Amos Botsford, Thomas Chandler, William Black and Thomas Dickson were elected. Whether Mr. Dixon was a candidate for re-election in 1793 or otherwise, the writer is not informed, nor does he know who beside Mr. Botsford and Mr. Dixon were the candidates at the first election. It is probable some other candidate had received more votes than he, including French, which when found to be illegal were stricken off, and Mr. Dixon became entitled to the seat. The revenue of the Province the first year was about 2500, out of which a grant was made to open a road to Westmoreland. The necessity for such grant was doubtless apparent by the fact that it required two weeks to inform Mr. Dixon of his right to the seat, and to enable him to appear at Parr Town.
Shortly after Mr. Dixon ceased to be a member of the Legislature, he was appointed Collector of Customs, and acted in that capacity some years. In the year 1788, he built a brick house, all the lumber for the floors and finishing of which was brought by water conveyance from the state of Maine. There was abundance of timber near at hand certainly, but the absence of mills for its manufacture no doubt necessitated that course. There is a building still standing, owned by Mr. John E. Bowser, the boards of a portion of which also came from Maine at about the same time.
A few lines of explanation in reference to the discontent which Mr. Dixon speaks of as being universal, may here be in order. After the expulsion of the French from Nova Scotia in 1755, efforts were made by the English authorities to induce persons living in the New England Colonies to come and occupy these vacant lands, and in 1758 and subsequently, Governor Lawrence held out strong inducements which were to a certain extent successful. A Baptist church came en masse in the year 1763 and located at Sackville. Other persons followed, and in the year 1765 the first grant of lands in Sackville was issued by the government of Nova Scotia to these people, some of whom had served in the war against the French, and were thus in part remunerated for such service. The whole parish of Sackville was thus granted, and the holders of the said lands were the people to whom Mr. Dixon refers as being anxious to sell their lands and leave the country. The advent of the English immigrants who responded to Governor Franklin's proposals, and settled at Sackville, gave some of these people an opportunity to sell out and leave. At a later period when the Loyalists came, others of them found opportunity to sell out to them. Others returned to their native country leaving their lands unsold.
Of the long list of persons whose names were contained in the original grants of Sackville, those who remained permanently are represented by the names of Ayr, Cole, Estabrooke, Kilham, Read, Tingley, Smith, Seaman and Ward. The names of the English immigrants who settled at Sackville are Anderson, Atkinson, Bowser, Bulmer, Cornforth, Dixon, Fawcett, Harper, Patterson, Richardson and Wry. Most of these were Methodists in their religious views. Those who settled at Point De Bute bore the names of Dobson, Chapman, Carter, Lowerison, Siddall, Trueman, Oulton, Trenholm, and others, many of whom were also Methodists, and others strongly attached to the Church of England.
Reference to Mr. Dixon's ledger supplies us with facts which, though in harmony with the wants of society at that age, would be sadly at variance with present conditions. One or two of these may not be uninteresting. One entry shows that he hired a servant girl for the sum of nine pounds a year, and that one of the articles she required in payment for her services was a gallon of rum. Another shows that he purchased several negro slaves at Halifax, one of whom he sold to his friend, the Honorable Amos Botsford, at the same price he paid; another to his friend, Major Wilson, on similar terms, and one named Cleveland he retained for himself, for whom he paid the sum to sixty pounds, and to whom he subsequently gave his liberty, and thenceforth paid regular wages. (This faithful old servant the writer can well recollect.) He lived with Charles Dixon Junior, after the death of his old master. When dying, he said he wished to be buried somewhere near his old master.
Mr. Dixon's house was a home for the early Methodist preachers, to whom he always gave a warm and hearty welcome. He was also one of the active members who erected the first Methodist church in Sackville, within whose walls he continued to worship until the infirmities of old age compelled his absence. He and his neighbor, William Cornforth, whose land adjoined, jointly set apart about four acres of land for a Methodist parsonage, a circumstance which had its influence in making Sackville the head of a circuit at that time. Previous to his death, a brick house was erected on the lot so set apart, in the erection of which he also took a lively interest, and one of the latest of his efforts at writing contained instructions to his executors to well certain articles of his personal property and apply the proceeds to assist in furnishing the parsonage.
It is proper that a few lines should be given to a notice of Mrs. Dixon, whose maiden name was Susanna Coates. But little is known with reference to her family. She was, however, a connection of an eminent thread manufacturing firm of that name in Manchester. One of her younger sisters, named Isabella, came to Nova Scotia about the same time she did, as the wife of John Trenholm. They settled at Point De Bute, and lived to advanced age, and were the progenitors of the numerous families of that name now living in Westmoreland and Cumberland and adjacent counties. The writer is of the opinion that the Coates family or families who came to Nova Scotia at about the same time Mr. Dixon came, and settled at Amherst and in King's county, were also relatives of Susanna and Isabel Coates. Mr. Dixon had quite extensive business relations with a William Coates for a number of years after he came to Sackville, and for whom he probably named his youngest son. Mrs. Dixon was blessed with a strong and vigorous constitution, and also in a marked degree possessed the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit. She cheerfully and patiently endured the discomforts and privations incident to pioneer life, while diligently discharging her duties as wife and mother. She was somewhat low in stature, though capable of an unusual amount of physical endurance. She was some nine years younger than her husband, but survived him as many years.
Mr. Dixon was a man of medium height, strongly built and well proportioned, possessing an excellent constitution, capable of great physical exertion, and lived to ripe age. His death occurred August 21st, 1817. Mrs. Dixon died June 13th, 1826 -- each of them in the 88th year of their age. Near the site of the unpretentious church building which they and their co-laborers erected, and within whose walls they worshipped, their bodies lie buried; as do also many of the English immigrants before named, who were actively instrumental in founding Methodism in Sackville. As in life they lived and labored to promote a common object, in death they are not divided.
The family record of Charles Dixon as kept by himself, here follows:

    Charles Dixon and Susannah Coates were married June 24th, 1763
      Mary Dixon ------------ born Friday, July 5, 1764
      Charles Dixon --------- born Friday, January 10, 1766
      Susannah Dixon -------- born Friday, July 24, 1767
      Elizabeth Dixon ------- born Sunday, August 25, 1770
      Ruth Dixon ------------ born Wednesday, September 16, 1772
      Martha Dixon ---------- born Thursday, June 3, 1774
      Edward Dixon ---------- born Friday, September 20, 1776
      William Coates Dixon -- born Tuesday, February 23, 1779


MARY DIXON, the eldest daughter of Charles and Susanna Dixon, married William Chapman II, eldest son of William Chapman I, who came to Nova Scotia in 1775 and settled at Point de Bute. His descendants are probably more numerous than any of the English immigrants of that period, and are scattered far and wide, although a host of the name still remains in the counties of Cumberland and Westmoreland.
William Chapman, who married Mary Dixon in the year 1780, was a mechanic who worked at the carpenter trade during the largest portion of his life. He did the joiner work of the brick house built by his father-in-law, Mr. Dixon. He settled at Fort Lawrence, where he had a valuable farm. The children of William Chapman and his wife Mary Dixon were:

	 William --------- born June 13, 1782
	 Susanna --------- born March 19, 1784
	 Elizabeth ------- born February 9, 1786
	 Jane ------------ born December 3, 1787
	 Charles --------- born September 28, 1789
	 Henry ----------- born September 2, 1791
	 John ------------ born September 8, 1793
	 Richard --------- born September 8, 1795
	 Jennie ---------- born April 8, 1799
	 Sidney Smith ---- born August 13, 1801
	 Mary ------------ born June 26, 1804
	 Horatio Nelson -- born 1807


CHARLES DIXON, eldest son of Charles and Susanna Coates Dixon, was six years old when he left England and came with his parents to Nova Scotia. He was a healthy, vigorous youth, capable of any amount of physical endurance. At the age of sixteen, during the closing years of the Revolutionary War, he and other youths of Sackville and vicinity were taken to Fort Cumberland to perform garrison duty, and acquitted themselves creditably.
In the year 1788 he married Miss Rhoda Emmerson, a daughter of one of the original grantees of Sackville. At the same hour of the same day, and in the same house, Miss Martha Grace was married to Ebenezer Cole. In their family were included the late Michael Grace Cole, Rufus Cole, Esq., and Capt. Martin Cole, all of whom were well known residents of Sackville.
Mr. Dixon settled on a portion of the land purchased by his father from Danial Hawkins, and rapidly redeemed the same from the wilderness and turned it into fruitful fields. The children of Charles and Rhoda Emmerson Dixon were:

     William --- born August 7, 1789     died in 1830
        married Elizabeth Weldon, daughter of Andrew Weldon, Esq.
        settled at Memramcook; he followed farming and milling
             children:  Andrew
                            John Weldon
                            Elizabeth Ann
     Charles --- born March 22, 1791 (died in infancy)
     Charles --- born June 8, 1793
     Hannah ---- born September 6, 1795 --->
        (Her daughter, Rhoda Barnes, married Cyrus Snell.
         They joined the LDS Church and settled in Spanish Fork.
	 Their granddaughter, Emily Rebecca Snell,
	 married James Miller Jr.)
     Benjamin -- born December 18, 1797

Mrs. Rhoda Emmerson Dixon died July 17, 1799, in the thirtieth year of her age. Mr. Dixon soon after married Miss Elizabeth Humphrey, eldest daughter of Mrs. William Humphrey, of whom mention has been previously made. This marriage, occurring so soon after the death of his first wife, so shocked the sense of propriety of Mr. Dixon's Methodist associates (for he was a member of the Methodist Society) as to cause for a time some estrangement. His parents, however, were the more inclined to overlook the offence, inasmuch as the bride being a Yorkshire Lass, the alliance was regarded by them with more favor than the former one. Doubtless they believed (as most Yorkshire people do to the present day) that there is no one quite the equal of a good Yorkshireman.
Charles Dixon and Elizabeth Humphrey were married October 13, 1799. Their children are:

     John ------------------ born August 9, 1800
     Elizabeth ------------- born January 1, 1803
     Sidney ---------------- born August 9, 1805
     Leonard --------------- born July 12, 1808
     Jane ------------------ born October 13, 1810
     Ruth ------------------ born August 4, 1813
         (her daughter, Mary Elizabeth O'Hara,
	  married Henry Fairbanks)
     Christopher Flintoff -- born May 6, 1816
         (his daughter, Mary Ann, married Ammon Nebeker)
     Edward ---------------- born August 17, 1818
     Alfred ---------------- born January 31, 1821
     Mary Ann -------------- born July 13, 1823
         (married Charles Billings Wightman)
     Martha ---------------- born June 27, 1825
         (married Orrawell Simons)

Mr. Dixon turned his attention occasionally to various enterprises quite outside of his farming operations. He also had a strong desire to see some other portions of America. About the year 1803, he and a young neighbor named Timothy Richardson visited the United States, through which they journeyed, much of the time on foot, until they reached Ohio. At or near the place now called Cincinnati, they had a boat constructed in which they pursued their journey to New Orleans. From thence they took passage by sea to New York, where in due time they arrived. Mr Dixon, however, fell ill with fever and ague which occasioned increased expenses and delay. Fortunately his brother in law, George Bulmer, was in the city, and finding them out, rendered them such pecuniary aid as they required to enable them to pursue their journey homeward. They then took passage for home with one Capt. Burnham. At Mount Desert they were detained by the severity of the weather for a considerable time, but at length reached home in safety. Whether Mr. Dixon or his companion then had thoughts of finding a home in the United States, is not known. Soon after his return home he made preparations for brewing ale, and erected one or two stone buildings for that purpose, near where the residence of J. R. Rainie now stands. This enterprise not proving a success, he next turned his attention to the erection of a windmill near the same spot. This also proved unsuccessful, and he subsequently made extensive preparations, and built another mill on a much more expensive scale which stood near his own residence. This one promised to give good satisfaction, but was unfortunately destroyed by fire, and proved a serious pecuniary loss. In 1825 he and his son-in-law Mr. McKinlay, entered into an arrangement to build a ship, upon which in the early part of 1826 they had made considerable progress, when news came from England of a serious decline in the price of ships. They then ceased work, and about two years subsequently sold out to other parties who completed the vessel. After this unprofitable speculation, Mr. Dixon confined his attention quite successfully to his farm until he sold out, and removed with his wife and seven youngest children to Ohio in the year 1837. Mr. Dixon's removal to Ohio was due to the fact that several of his family had recently embraced the views of the people called Mormons, or Latter Day Saints, and he felt it to be the only safe and proper course for him to pursue. The writer has a vivid recollection of an interview that took place between Mr. Dixon and his brother Edward, at which he earnestly pressed upon his brother's consideration, his recently embraced views, and faithfully exhorted him to follow his example, and warning him of the folly and danger of remaining in a country so soon to be destroyed, as he believed.
Mr. Dixon and family left Sackville on the first day of September, 1837, and travelled in a number of covered wagons, arriving at Kirtland, Ohio, the place of their destination, on the 14th of October, where he purchased a property and settled his family. The year following in the autumn, he, with his daughter Jane and youngest son, started for Missouri. Soon after they had crossed the Missouri River, they met large numbers of the Mormon people, who were being driven out of that state by force, most of whom were in a most destitute condition. They returned with these people to Quincy, Illinois, where Mr. Dixon hired a house and remained for the winter, and liberally used his means in entertaining and relieving the necessities of these poor suffering destitute brethren. The following spring he returned to Ohio, where he pursued with his usual diligence and industry his occupation of farming until the spring of 1854. When he had entered upon his 89th year, and had become nearly blind, he and his wife, with some of the family, left Ohio for Salt Lake City. They arrived at Rock Island and halted for a few days, while their party were fitting up and getting their teams ready for the journey across the plains. Here Mr. Dixon, on account of his blindness, fell from the steps of a hotel and sustained injuries which proved fatal, and his death occurred on the 22nd day of May. He was buried at Davenport, Iowa. The family pursued their journey, arriving safely at their destination. Mrs. Dixon survived her husband some eleven years, and died at about the same age.

Information Compiled
by Karen Bray Keeley

INTERNET Adaptation
by Sandra S. Bray